Hurricane Florence Response
Hurricane Florence devastated much of the eastern part of our state with its wind and torrential rainfall. The pastors, staff, and outreach committee have developed initial ways to help those affected by this storm. We expect our efforts to help will be ongoing. Here are ways that we can help:
Pray for all those who are affected by the storm and for all those who are helping in the recovery efforts. Find Presbyterian Disaster Assistance here.
Volunteer to be on future teams going to the affected areas to provide direct aid. (To be determined, once it is deemed safe to go be helpful.)
Assemble Flood Clean-up Buckets – The Presbytery is organizing a Flood Bucket Collection to take to flood impacted areas to assist families in cleaning their homes after the water recedes. Begin collecting items today. The deadline for the collection will be October 8th. Click here to see the items to include.
Donate canned food and water to the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina. You can also bring these items to the Connector.
Assemble a school kit. Click here to see the items to include.
Donate money. Make checks payable to White Memorial Presbyterian Church and designate Florence Disaster Relief. We will be working with Presbyterian churches down east and NC mission partners to help meet identified needs.
Assemble Flood Buckets
The Presbytery is organizing a Flood Bucket Collection to take to flood impacted areas to assist families in cleaning their homes after the water recedes. Begin collecting items today. The deadline for the collection will be October 8th. Members report that most of the items on the list can be found at Lowe's and that Lowe's will give a 10% discount if you can show that you are purchasing the items for hurricane relief.
Here’s what you’ll need:
• One five-gallon bucket with resealable lid (If bucket has been used, clean well but do not use if it has held chemicals of any kind.)
• Four scouring pads
• Seven sponges, including one large
• One scrub brush
• Eighteen reusable cleaning towels (e.g. Easy Wipes)
• One 50 oz. or two 25 oz. bottle(s) of liquid laundry detergent
• One 16-28 oz. bottle of liquid disinfectant dish soap
• One 12-16 oz. bottle of household cleaner that can be mixed with water (no spray bottles)
• One package of 48-50 clothespins
• Clothesline, two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.
• Five dust masks
• Two pairs heavy-duty, waterproof dishwashing gloves (latex-free, non-surgical)
• One pair work gloves, cotton with leather palm or all leather
• 24-28 heavy duty or contractor type 30-45 gallon trash bags on a roll and removed from carton
• One 6-9 oz. bottle of non-aerosol insect repellent
All cleaning items must be new – all liquid items must be capped and securely tightened. Place all items into the bucket, making sure they are packed securely to avoid damage during shipment. Snap the lid on tight and seal with packing tape. These buckets have a value of $75.
1 — pair of blunt scissors (rounded tip)
3 — 70-count spiral notebooks or tape-bound pads of 8" x 10 1/2" ruled paper or pads with 200-210 sheets of ruled paper. Do not include filler paper.
1 — 12" ruler
1 — hand-held pencil sharpener
6 — new pencils with erasers
1 — large eraser
1 — box of 24 crayons
1 — 2 gallon or larger zip top plastic bag
Bring to the connector at WMPC and place in the bin labeled School Kits.